Welcome, visitor! [ Login

Post an Ad


National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP)

  • Listed: December 15, 2018 1:06 pm
  • Expires: 998009 days, 7 hours


Our iOS apps : US Benefits Directory , Food Banks Directory , GSA Auctions , Low Cost Apartments Directory,

Program Description

The National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP), managed by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), enables homeowners, business owners and renters in participating communities to purchase federally backed flood insurance. This insurance offers an insurance alternative to disaster assistance to meet the escalating costs of repairing flood damage to buildings and their contents.

Participating communities agree to adopt and enforce floodplain management ordinances to reduce future flood damage. There are now more than 20,600 participating communities across the United States and its territories.

Federal flood insurance is available for residents and business owners in both high-risk and moderate-to-low risk areas. The insurance is required for buildings in high-risk areas that have loans from federally regulated or insured lenders. This requirement extends to disaster assistance loans from the Small Business Administration. However, you don’t need to have a mortgage or SBA loan or live in a high-risk area to obtain flood insurance. It is available community-wide, with premiums that vary according to the level of risk. In fact, about 25 percent of all flood claims occur in moderate- to low- risk areas, and premiums start as low as $119 per year.

Your community maintains a repository of Flood Insurance Rate Maps (FIRMs) that you can view to determine whether your property is located in a high-risk or a moderate- to low-risk area. These maps are usually available at the planning and zoning department where building permits are obtained. They also may be found online at http://msc.fema.gov. If you still have questions after obtaining your flood hazard zone, you may call a FEMA mapping specialist toll free at 1-877-336-2627.

Anyone living in a participating community should consider flood insurance before the next flood occurs. Flood insurance, like other property and casualty coverage, is written by licensed insurance agents. The agent who writes your homeowners or property insurance should be able to assist you in determining your eligibility and coverage options.

Program Requirements

Some forms of disaster assistance will require that flood insurance is obtained and maintained for different lengths of time. Refer to those programs to learn their specific requirements. Federal flood insurance, however, is not a disaster assistance program. It is an insurance program established to help property owners to recover more quickly and at less cost. For example, disaster loans have to be repaid along with any other outstanding mortgages; flood insurance payments do not have to be repaid. Flood insurance is available to property owners and renters, even if they have had a claim before, as long as they live in a participating community.

Application Process

To apply for this program please contact FEMA at 1-800-621-FEMA (3362) or visit: https://www.fema.gov/media-library/assets/documents/154

Contact Information

For more information about the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP), visit:

To learn more about your flood risk and flood insurance options or to locate an agent, visit:

Or call:


476 total views, 1 today


Listing ID: 9425c14fc2957501

Report problem

Processing your request, Please wait....

Sponsored Links

A guide for US Government Federal and State Benefits published by benefits.gov

This is a third party app and we are not affiliated with benefits.gov or US Government.. If you are looking for an app that consolidates all the benefit listings by Federal and US states, this is a good app to start with. Listings can also be found on the benefits.gov website.