Welcome, visitor! [ Login

Post an Ad


Vocational Training for Children with Spina Bifida or Certain Birth Defects

  • Listed: January 9, 2019 6:10 am
  • Expires: 998014 days, 5 hours


Our iOS apps : US Benefits Directory , Food Banks Directory , GSA Auctions , Low Cost Apartments Directory,

Program Description

The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) provides a monthly monetary allowance, health care specific to the disability, and vocational training, if reasonably feasible, for biological children diagnosed with Spina Bifida (except Spina Bifida Occulta) and certain other birth defects, born to Vietnam Veterans who meet certain criteria.

This program enables a qualified child to prepare for and attain suitable employment. Services may include counseling and rehabilitative services, education, training, and employment services leading to suitable employment. VA pays for the cost of these services.

A vocational training program may not begin before a child’s 18th birthday or the date of completion of secondary schooling, whichever comes first. Depending on the need, a child may be provided up to 24 months of full-time training.

Entitlement to vocational training is based on eligibility determinations made by the VA regional office. If the VA regional office grants a monthly monetary award for an individual with spina bifida, the individual should contact the local VA regional office to request vocational training.

Program Requirements

In order to be considered for this benefit program, you must be the biological child of a Veteran who served in Vietnam or in the Korean demilitarized zone during certain periods in the 1960s or 1970s. You must have been conceived after the Veteran served in one of those two places.

Military Service Rules

The Veteran parent must have-

  • Served in Vietnam during the period beginning January 9, 1962, and ending May 7, 1975, OR
  • Served at or near the Korean demilitarized zone (DMZ) during the period beginning September 1, 1967, and ending August 31, 1971.

The Gender of the Veteran Parent

The rules for Spina Bifida are different from the rules for other covered birth defects:

  • If you have Spina Bifida, you may qualify if either your father or your mother served in one of the situations described above.
  • If you have another kind of birth defect, you qualify only if it was your mother who served in Vietnam or the Korean demilitarized zone


Your Own Disability
You must have been diagnosed with Spina Bifida or another covered birth defect.

Application Process

To complete an application, use VA Form 21-0304, “Application for Benefits for Certain Children with Disabilities Born of Vietnam and Certain Korea Service Veterans.”

Contact Information

If you have any questions, you may:

  • Visit the Inquiry Routing & Information System (IRIS) website to search Frequently Asked Questions or ask a question on-line
  • Call 1-800-827-1000
  • Call 1-800-829-4833, if you have a hearing impairment

To apply for additional benefits and view your benefit status, open an eBenefits Premium account. eBenefits is a one-stop source for information on Department of Defense and Department of Veterans Affairs benefits and services. With a free Premium level eBenefits account, Veterans, Servicemembers and their family members can conduct self-service transactions such as checking compensation and pension claim status information, enrolling in GI Bill, and obtaining copies of civil service preference letters, military records (DD214), and other personal information. For further information and to register for a free Premium level account, visit the eBenefits website.


298 total views, 1 today


Listing ID: 4555c35902e69692

Report problem

Processing your request, Please wait....

Sponsored Links

A guide for US Government Federal and State Benefits published by benefits.gov

This is a third party app and we are not affiliated with benefits.gov or US Government.. If you are looking for an app that consolidates all the benefit listings by Federal and US states, this is a good app to start with. Listings can also be found on the benefits.gov website.