- Listed: January 17, 2019 6:07 pm
- Expires: 999021 days, 8 hours
Veterans’ Group Life Insurance (VGLI) provides for the conversion of Servicemembers’ Group Life Insurance (SGLI) coverage to a renewable term policy of insurance protection after a servicemember’s separation from service.
VGLI provides up to a maximum of $400,000 of insurance coverage, and is issued in $10,000 increments up to the amount of SGLI the member had in force at the time of separation. VGLI premiums are based upon the separating member’s age. For those insured for less than $400,000, additional increments of $25,000 of coverage can be purchased every five years until age 60.
VGLI is convertible at any time to an individual commercial life insurance policy with any one of the participating commercial insurance companies.
In order to qualify for this benefit program you must belong to one of the following groups of separating servicemembers:
- Servicemembers insured under SGLI who are separated from active duty
- Members of the Ready Reserves insured under SGLI who are separated, retired, or released from assignment
- Members who are assigned to the IRR of a branch of service or to the Inactive National Guard (ING). This includes members of the United States Public Health Service Inactive Reserve Corps (IRC)
- Members who have part-time SGLI and who, while performing duty, suffer an injury or disability, which renders them uninsurable at standard premium rates. This includes travel directly to and from duty.
For information on converting your SGLI to VGLI coverage, read our conversion instructions.
To complete an application, use form SGL 8714, “Application for Veterans’ Group Life Insurance”. OR
Apply online through the Office of Servicemembers’ Group Life Insurance (OSGLI) at
For more information, visit the Veterans’ Group Life Insurance webpage.
If you have questions, contact the Office of Servicemembers’ Group Life Insurance (OSGLI) at:
1-800-419-1473 (inside the U.S.)
General questions can be sent to:
Claims questions can be sent to:
To apply for additional benefits and view your benefit status, open an eBenefits Premium account. eBenefits is a one-stop source for information on Department of Defense and Department of Veterans Affairs benefits and services. With a free Premium level eBenefits account, Veterans, Servicemembers and their family members can conduct self-service transactions such as checking claim status information, GI Bill enrollment, and obtaining copies of civil service preference letters, DD214, and other personal information. For further information and to register for a free Premium level account, visit the eBenefits website.
80 total views, 1 today
A guide for US Government Federal and State Benefits published by benefits.gov
This is a third party app and we are not affiliated with benefits.gov or US Government.. If you are looking for an app that consolidates all the benefit listings by Federal and US states, this is a good app to start with. Listings can also be found on the benefits.gov website.